Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman’s lawyers have assisted Canadian businesses and individuals with their U.S. transactions, activities and investments for more than 35 years. The firm has a Toronto-area office, and several of our lawyers devote the majority of their practices to serving the needs of Canadian clients.
Our Cross-Border Team has extensive experience with U.S. legal issues frequently faced by Canadians and the solutions to those.
- Agreements – The preparation of agreements for a wide variety of transactions and situations, including “Americanizing” Canadian forms of agreements for U.S. use.
- Entities – The formation of entities for U.S. activities and investments, and devising entity ownership structures.
- Estates and Trusts – The preparation of wills, trust agreements and other documents to limit exposure to U.S. estate tax and avoid ancillary probate proceedings.
- Finance and Banking – Assisting lenders and borrowers with transactions having U.S. aspects, and in the preparation and negotiation of loan and security agreements.
- Government Investigations and Enforcement Actions – Assisting Canadian firms regarding government investigations and regulatory compliance reviews.
- Immigration – We have great familiarity with the immigration issues faced by Canadians engaging in cross-border activities, and assist business personnel and individuals in gaining admission to the U.S.
- Insurance Recovery, Counseling & Litigation - Resolving complex coverage disputes, securing carrier participation in defense and settlement of claims, and maximizing insurance recoveries.
- Intellectual Property – Registering intellectual property in the U.S., and assisting with the licensing, transfer and enforcement of intellectual property and rights in the U.S.
- Labour and Employment – Providing employment advice and assisting with proceedings concerning U.S. employees.
- Litigation – Assisting with U.S. claims, actions and proceedings.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – Assisting with all aspects of the purchase and sale of U.S. companies and assets.
- Private Equity – Advise Canadian investors on U.S. private equity fund formations, investments, and secondary transactions.
- Real Estate – Assisting with the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and operation of U.S. properties, including office and industrial buildings, shopping centers, hotels, mixed use and other properties.
- Securities – Advising Canadians with federal, state and local tax issues arising from their U.S. activities and investments.
- Tax – Assisting Canadians with federal, state and local tax issues arising from their U.S. activities and investments.
- Venture Capital – Assisting with arranging, negotiation and closing of venture capital and emerging company transactions.
Related ContentView All
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP presents U.S. Employment Law: Critical HR Considerations for Canadian Businesses Before, During and After the Pandemic
November 5, 2020
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP Partner Thomas J. Keable presents webinar in collaboration with the Embassy of Canada in Washington D.C.
October 22, 2020
CROSS BORDER BUSINESS ALERT: Labor & employment webinar for Canadian businesses/employers in the U.S.
October 19, 2020