Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman’s lawyers have assisted Canadian businesses and individuals with their U.S. transactions, activities and investments for more than 35 years. The firm has a Toronto-area office, and several of our lawyers devote the majority of their practices to serving the needs of Canadian clients.
Our Cross-Border Team has extensive experience with U.S. legal issues frequently faced by Canadians and the solutions to those.
- Agreements – The preparation of agreements for a wide variety of transactions and situations, including “Americanizing” Canadian forms of agreements for U.S. use.
- Entities – The formation of entities for U.S. activities and investments, and devising entity ownership structures.
- Estates and Trusts – The preparation of wills, trust agreements and other documents to limit exposure to U.S. estate tax and avoid ancillary probate proceedings.
- Finance and Banking – Assisting lenders and borrowers with transactions having U.S. aspects, and in the preparation and negotiation of loan and security agreements.
- Government Investigations and Enforcement Actions – Assisting Canadian firms regarding government investigations and regulatory compliance reviews.
- Immigration – We have great familiarity with the immigration issues faced by Canadians engaging in cross-border activities, and assist business personnel and individuals in gaining admission to the U.S.
- Intellectual Property – Registering intellectual property in the U.S., and assisting with the licensing, transfer and enforcement of intellectual property and rights in the U.S.
- Labour and Employment – Providing employment advice and assisting with proceedings concerning U.S. employees.
- Litigation – Assisting with U.S. claims, actions and proceedings.
- Mergers and Acquisitions – Assisting with all aspects of the purchase and sale of U.S. companies and assets.
- Private Equity – Advise Canadian investors on U.S. private equity fund formations, investments, and secondary transactions.
- Real Estate – Assisting with the acquisition, development, financing, leasing and operation of U.S. properties, including office and industrial buildings, shopping centers, hotels, mixed use and other properties.
- Securities – Advising Canadians with federal, state and local tax issues arising from their U.S. activities and investments.
- Tax – Assisting Canadians with federal, state and local tax issues arising from their U.S. activities and investments.
- Venture Capital – Assisting with arranging, negotiation and closing of venture capital and emerging company transactions.