He focuses much of his legal practice on governmental investigations and compliance work. Mr. Vacco works both with clients who want to be sure they are in compliance with the complex and ever-changing rules of both the state and federal governments, as well as with clients who have been directly targeted by the New York State Attorney General as part of a government investigation. Prior to joining Lippes Mathias, he spent two decades as a prosecutor, so he understands what it takes to avoid ending up in the crosshairs of a government investigation.
Always an innovator, Mr. Vacco expanded the traditional role of the Attorney General by resurrecting the long dormant criminal prosecution powers of the office. He then used the expanded purview of his office to form the nation’s first Internet Child Pornography unit targeting online predators. His distinguished career has seen him before the United States Supreme Court in the case of Vacco v. Quill where he successfully argued that Physician Assisted Suicide was not a constitutionally protected right.
Prior to joining Lippes Mathias, Mr. Vacco honed his entrepreneurial skills as the former president of Waste Management’s New York subsidiary, and as owner of his own consulting firm.
- Practice Areas
- Government Investigations & Enforcement Actions
- Indian Law
- Asset Receivable Management & Consumer Financial Services
- Blockchain Technology, Cryptocurrency & Digital Assets
- Canada-U.S. Cross Border
- Health Care
- Public Law & Policy
- Article 10 of the Public Service Law
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, Northern California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D.
- Colgate University
Honors & Awards
- Lincoln Leadership Award
- Business First of Buffalo and Buffalo Law Journal, Legal Elite of WNY (2014-2019)