Scott E. Thompson, a leading Intellectual Property attorney and Lippes Mathias’ Intellectual Property Team Co-Leader, has extensive experience representing clients, including Fortune 100 companies, in trademark, copyright, patent, unfair competition, advertising, Internet, and social media matters for U.S. and international litigation, brand creation, management and protection, transactional matters, and counseling.
Immediately prior to joining Lippes Mathias, Mr. Thompson was General Counsel- Intellectual Property/Marketing Properties with Mars Incorporated (one of the largest privately held companies in the world ) where he built and led a team of over 50 in-house Intellectual Property & Marketing Properties professionals. He was a member of the Legal Leadership Team which has global responsibility for legal matters facing the company and was responsible for all Intellectual Property (trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, patents, technology, R&D and Innovation) matters. His over three decades of experience, including at Mars Incorporated, Philip Morris Companies, Colgate-Palmolive and GlaxoSmithKline included:
- Led the IP aspects of acquisitions/divestitures/joint ventures of billions of dollars of consumer products companies, health care and veterinary services
- Initiated, defended and managed significant litigations around the world including initiating one that led to Mars Incorporated acquiring the trademark rights in the U.S. for a brand they desired to own its rights to for over 50 years
- Developed robust global anti-counterfeiting programs
- Enhanced global licensing and compliance programs for several of the world’s most valuable trademarks
- Built, organized, trained and managed large in-house high performing legal teams; responsible for cost-effective management of multi-million dollar budgets, achieving significant cost savings and development and implementation of systems and process for maintaining and enhancing value of Intellectual Property.
In addition to Mr. Thompson’s wealth of in-house experience he was a partner with two large international law firms where he represented clients in global intellectual property matters.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1983
- Cornell University, B.S., 1980
- International Trademark Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Former Officer, Board of Directors, The Trademark Reporter, Editorial Board, Chaired numerous Committees
Honors & Awards
- World Trademark Review, WTR 1000, Leading Trademark Attorney, 2011-2020
- World Trademark Review’s Best Global Food, Beverage & Tobacco Team 2019 and Best Global Pharmaceutical Team 2007 & 2008
Related ContentView All
Leading IP Attorney Scott E. Thompson, Former Mars Inc. General Counsel, Joins Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP as Partner
April 22, 2021