Mr. Scherer serves as the Practice Team Leader for the firm’s Business and Commercial Litigation practice group, concentrating on his practice primarily in state and federal business litigation where he advises a diverse client base covering a broad variety of industry sectors. His business litigation practice involves defending and prosecuting matters in New York State Court and in federal courts across the country. Mr. Scherer’s broad business litigation experience includes matters involving earn-out disputes, shareholder oppression claims, shareholder derivative actions, and contractual indemnity claims.
As a member of the firm’s Consumer Financial Services Litigation Practice Team, Mr. Scherer concentrates a significant portion of his practice defending creditors, loan services, and debt collectors subject to claims brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Mr. Scherer also has experience in representing clients in investigations commenced by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and state regulators.
Mr. Scherer also frequently represents individuals and businesses, including convenience stores, restaurants and bars, in liquor license applications and enforcement proceedings brought by the New York State Liquor Authority (NYSLA).
While attending SUNY Buffalo Law School, Mr. Scherer was the Executive Publication Editor of the Buffalo Law Review.
Articles & Publications
- Author, "Drastic regulations for debt collectors," Guest Column, Buffalo Law Journal, February 2015
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.S.
- ACA International, Attorney Member
Honors & Awards
- Upstate New York SuperLawyers®, Rising Star (2015-2020)
- “FDCPA Changes You Can't Afford to Miss,” National Business Institute National Teleseminar, April 1, 2020
- “FDCPA and Collection Law, Ensure You Are Collecting Legally and Effectively,” National Business Institute Seminar, September 16, 2019
- “Shoring Up Compliance Management Systems,” ACA International 2018 Convention, July 24, 2018
- Neighborhood Legal Services, Inc., Board of Directors, 2013 – 2019
- Delaware Soccer Club, Board of Directors, 2017 – present
- Lagrou v. Monterey Fin. Servs., LLC, 2020 WL 6092000 (E.D. Wash. Oct. 15, 2020)
- Reaser v. Monterey Fin. Servs., LLC, 2020 WL 5879523 (D. Ariz. Oct. 2, 2020)
- Yancey v. Equifax Info. Servs., LLC, 2019 WL 4257201 (E.D. Va. June 12, 2019)
- Anderson v. Monterey Fin. Servs., LLC, 2018 WL 4961663 (N.D. Cal. Oct. 12, 2018)
- Pavlovich v. Account Discovery Sys., LLC & DNF Assocs., LLC, 2018 WL 1605174 (S.D. Cal. Apr. 3, 2018)
- Harrow Industries LLC v. Nexus Corporation, 2018 WL 1020114 (C.D. Ill. Feb. 22, 2018)
- Evensen v. JTM Capital Management, LLC, et al., 2017 WL 2804937 (E.D.N.Y June 27, 2017)
- Mosley v. Monterey Fin. Servs., LLC, No. 16-cv-3614 (N.D. Ga. June 23, 2017)Stein v. Monterey Fin. Servs., Inc., 2017 WL 412874 (N.D. Ala. Jan. 31, 2017)
- Mihelis v. Network Commercial Servs., Inc., 2014 WL 4829062, at *1 (E.D.N.Y. Sept. 29, 2014)
- Cott Corp. v. Decas Botanical Synergies, LLC, 2012 WL 4120375 (W.D.N.Y. Sept. 19, 2012)
Related ContentView All
2020 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Recognizes 36 Attorneys from Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP
August 21, 2020
New York State Amends Statue of Limitations Related to the Collection of Medical Debt
April 17, 2020
How do the terms of your insurance policy apply to COVID-19? You can get a “first opinion” from your insurer
April 6, 2020
Does Your Commercial Property Insurance Protect Your Business From Losses Due To Government Orders To Shut Down?
March 24, 2020
2019 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Recognizes 32 Attorneys from Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP
August 12, 2019
2018 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Recognizes 28 Attorneys from Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP
August 13, 2018