Mr. Mueller, a Partner with Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman and Co-Leader of the firm’s Financial Reorganization, Restructuring, and Insolvency Practice Team, concentrates his practice on all aspects of financial reorganization, restructuring and insolvency, including:
- Asset Acquisition – representing buyers of assets in both Chapter 7 and 11;
- Debtor Counsel – serving as debtor counsel to clients in bankruptcy courts throughout New York State;
- Creditor & Interested Party Counsel – serving as counsel to creditors and other interested parties in bankruptcy courts throughout the U.S. on asset protection and recovery, and the pursuit of secured, administrative and unsecured claims;
- Committee Counsel – representing entire pool of unsecured creditors in Chapter 11 matters;
- Credit Risk Management – working with corporate controllers and accounting departments to address troubled accounts and customers;
- UCC Interests & Asset Sales – establishing and perfecting security interests, conducting and participating in Article 9 sale of assets;
- Loan Workouts, Private Restructuring & Debt Negotiation – serving as counsel to debtors, lenders and other creditors in the restructuring of operations and debts outside of bankruptcy; and
- General Creditor’s Rights & Collections – any industry in court and outside of court.
He also handles litigation matters in the state and federal/bankruptcy courts involving small and large businesses, professional service providers and financial institutions. Additionally, Mr. Mueller assists clients as corporate transaction counsel providing input and expertise regarding deal structure, default terms and limitations, and risk management.
Articles & Publications
Author, "The 'All-Holder-Best Price' Rule: Executive Compensation Agreements and their Place in Tender Offers," 1 DePaul Bus. & Comm. L.J. 2, Winter 2003,
- Practice Areas
- Financial Reorganization, Restructuring & Insolvency
- Banking & Financial Transactions
- Canada-U.S. Cross Border
- Private Equity
DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
Vanderbilt University, B.A.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Turnaround Management Association, Upstate New York Chapter, Board Member and Chair of Membership Committee
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Bar Association of Erie County
Honors & Awards
- 40 Under 40 Award, Business First of Buffalo, 2017
- Leadership Buffalo, Class of 2014
- DePaul Business and Commercial Law Journal, Editor-in-Chief
- Arts Services Initiative of WNY, Board Member and Chair of Governance Committee
- Volunteer Lawyers Project Attorney of the Morning Program at Buffalo City Court, Volunteer
- Commodore Recruitment Programs, Vanderbilt University, Volunteer Interviewer
- The Fund for American Studies, Institute on Business and Government Affairs, Alumni Ambassador
- Music is Art, Former Board Member
- Panelist, 2015 Annual WNY Bankruptcy Conference 12th Annual Western New York Bankruptcy Conference, Friday, May 8, 2015
- Co-Presenter, “Advanced Deposition Training: Preparing Your Client for Deposition Testimony”, Harter Secrest & Emery LLP CLE, October 22, 2015
- Co-Presenter, “Motion Practice: Strategy and Results”, Harter Secrest & Emery LLP CLE, May 24, 2011
- Presenter, “Lifecycle of Litigation: Settlement Negotiation”, Harter Secrest & Emery LLP CLE, January 8, 2010
Related ContentView All
In The news
John A. Mueller featured on WGRZ "Boy Scouts of America files for bankruptcy protection"
February 18, 2020
In The news
John A. Mueller featured on WGRZ "Absolut Care files Chapter 11 bankruptcy, will close Orchard Park location"
September 11, 2019
In The news
John A. Mueller quoted in Buffalo Law Journal article "HarkerBio auctioning biotech equipment so it can repay ECIDA"
August 6, 2019