Ms. Friedman Shea is a Senior Associate in the Corporate and Securities practice group at Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP, where she concentrates her practice on the representation of private companies in all stages of the growth cycle, as well as the venture capital firms and strategic investors that finance these companies in debt and equity offerings. Her experience also includes advising business founders on various issues, including choice of entity, capitalization, and incentive compensation; representing private companies in capital raising and other financing transactions; assisting with company mergers, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures; and helping to negotiate joint venture agreements and other strategic alliances.
Ms. Friedman Shea is also a Senior Advisor with D21 Partners, a consulting firm that specializes in comprehensive business and succession planning for family-owned and closely-held businesses through the application of cutting-edge insights from social neuroscience, positive psychology, and behavioral economics.
Ms. Friedman Shea has co-authored or been featured in numerous articles, including the following: “For startups, there’s no “I” in team, Buffalo Law Journal, Interview, 2018; “The Neuroscience of Start-ups: A Primer for Attorneys (and Other Professionals),” New York State Bar Journal, 2017; “Advising Family Businesses in the Twenty-First Century: An Introduction to 'Stage 4 Planning' Strategies,” University at Buffalo Law Review, 2017; and “Funding for Women Entrepreneurs,” Buffalo Business First, 2016. Ms. Friedman Shea is also the recipient of Buffalo Business First’s 30 Under 30 Award, 2017 and was an Upstate New York Super Lawyers® Rising Star, 2018 – 2019.
While in law school, Ms. Friedman Shea served as Editor-in-Chief and Executive Articles Editor of the Buffalo Intellectual Property Law Journal.
Articles & Publications
- Co-Author, “Finding venture capital for women entrepreneurs,” Buffalo Law Journal/Buffalo Business First, November 10, 2015
- Co-Author, “(Crowd) funding Buffalo’s revitalization,” Buffalo Law Journal/Buffalo Business First, August 19, 2015
- Co-Author, “Family Business and Positive Psychology: A New Planning Paradigm,” New York State Bar Journal, January 2014
- Co-Author, “7 New Strategies for Family Businesses,” Collision Repair Magazine, April 4, 2013
- Practice Areas
- Corporate & Securities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Startups and Venture Capital
- Family Business
- Private Equity
- Blockchain Technology, Cryptocurrency & Digital Assets
- Technology & Life Sciences
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- University at Buffalo School of Law, J.D.
- University of Rochester, B.A.
- Bar Association of Erie County
- New York State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Upstate New York SuperLawyers®, Rising Star 2018 and 2019
- 30 Under 30 Award, Buffalo Business First, 2017
- Make-A-Wish Illinois Wish Granter
- Respiratory Health Association Associates Board
- PUCCS Charitable Fund Inc., Secretary, Board of Directors
- Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Future of Roswell Society Committee Member
- Elmwood Franklin School Alumni Council Member
Related ContentView All
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP Promotes Five Attorneys to Senior Associates
December 23, 2019
In The news
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP and Eliza Friedman Shea are featured in Buffalo News article "Lippes Mathias adds Chicago office, law firm's eighth site"
September 29, 2019
In The news
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP and Eliza Friedman Shea are featured in Buffalo Law Journal article "Lippes Mathias expands to Chicago"
September 19, 2019
2019 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Recognizes 32 Attorneys from Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP
August 12, 2019
In The news
Article written by Scott E. Friedman, Andrea H. Vossler, and Eliza P. Friedman featured in Congress of Neurological Surgeons
September 17, 2018