The author of seven books and numerous articles on business, as well as an Entrepreneur in Residence at the University at Buffalo’s School of Management, he concentrates his work efforts on helping entrepreneurs and businesses, from the start up stage (including by helping develop financing strategies, business plans, effective governance structures, etc.) through succession planning.
His work with startups and venture capital includes providing counsel on tech transfer arrangements, strategic joint ventures and various forms of cooperative agreements and his experience includes negotiating joint venture and other agreements with strategic partners in China, Israel, Canada, and Ireland
Advising entrepreneurs, family businesses, partnerships and closely held organizations across the United States, Friedman has helped pioneer the application of a variety of new strategies informed by melding traditional legal, economic and business principles with insights from science, including the fields of positive psychology, social neuroscience and behavioral economics. When necessary, Friedman also assists with dispute resolution and conflict management.
In addition to sitting on a number of private company boards, Friedman is an active volunteer in the WNY community, currently serving as a Member of the University at Buffalo Council, the Roswell Park Alliance Foundation, the WNY Law Enforcement Foundation, and the Western New York Venture Association. Friedman is a graduate of Trinity College along with the Washington University and University of Pennsylvania Schools of Law.
- Family Business and Positive Psychology: New Planning Strategies for the 21st Century
- Secrets From The Delphi Café: Unlocking the Code to Happiness (co-author with Bob Rich, co-author)
- The Successful Family Business
- How to Profit by Forming Your Own Limited Liability Company!
- How to Run a Family Business (co-author with Michael Friedman)
- The Law of Parent-Child Relationships
- Sex Law: A Legal Sourcebook on Critical Sexual Issues
- Advising Family Businesses in the 21st Century: An Introduction to “Stage 4 Planning” Strategies (with Andrea HusVar and Eliza Friedman) (upcoming, 2017)
- The Application of Positive Psychology to Medical Groups (with Elad Levy, M.D.) (MGMA 2014)
- The Application of Positive Psychology to Family Businesses (Family Business Magazine, Summer, 2010)
- Bequeathing Your Most Important Assets: An introduction to Ethical Wills (Family Business Magazine, 2006)
- A New, More Effective Planning Strategy for Family Businesses (Estate Planning, June, 1999)
- Using LLCs to ‘Change the Game’ for Family Businesses, (Journal of Limited Liability Companies, 1998)
- Estate Planning Vehicle of Choice for the 1990s: FLLC or FLP? (Journal of Limited Liability Companies, 1997)
- The LLC and S Corporation: Choice of Entity Redux (New York State Bar Journal, 1997)
- The Lowdown on LLCs (Delta Sky magazine, May, 1995).
- Creative Uses of LLCs for Family Owned Businesses (New York State Bar Journal, 1996.
- Practice Areas
- Family Business
- Blockchain Technology, Cryptocurrency & Digital Assets
- Corporate & Securities
- Private Equity
- Technology & Life Sciences
- Startups and Venture Capital
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- Trinity College, B.A.
- Washington University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania School of Law, LLM.
Honors & Awards
- Buffalo Business First, Power 250 List
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Best Lawyer in America
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers®
- Business First of Buffalo and Buffalo Law Journal, Legal Elite of WNY (2017)
- Daemen College, Board of Trustees
- VIRIDI Parente, Inc., Board of Directors
- Council for the State University of New York at Buffalo, Board Member
- WNY Law Enforcement Foundation, Board Member
- Western New York Venture Association, Board Member
- Buffalo Capital Partners, LLC, Board Member and General Counsel
- Impact Capital Partners, LLC, Board Member and General Counsel
- MimiVax, LLC, Board Member and General Counsel
- Erie County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association