With more than 40 years of experience as a trial lawyer and judge, Judge Heckman (Ret.) has an active practice as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association, and conducts arbitrations in most major metropolitan areas with a particular concentration in New York City, In addition to arbitrations and mediations, Judge Heckman also engages in litigation counseling and trial work for an American Indian tribe, and a group of business clients providing representation in government investigations, complex commercial matters, taxation, and gaming. She has tried numerous cases as a lawyer, a judge, and an arbitrator in a broad range of disputes.
Judge Heckman served as a Magistrate Judge in the Western District of New York for eight years where she was selected to sit on the Federal Judicial Conference’s Education Committee for Magistrate Judges and served as an Officer in the Federal Magistrate Judges Association. She has also served as a trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Buffalo, New York, and as a law clerk for Hon. John T. Curtin, former Chief Judge of the Western District of New York.
She has significant training and experience as a mediator and has trained federal judges in mediation techniques. She is admitted to both the Panel of Mediators and the Panel of Arbitrators of the American Arbitration Association, as well as the Western District of New York Panel of Mediators. Successful mediations include the entire range of federal court cases, including high stakes business disputes, employment disputes of all kinds, environmental claims, products liability and other tort claims, securities claims, patent claims, and §1983 claims.
Arbitration experience includes all aspects of executive compensation, complex commercial disputes, employment litigation, FLSA, non-compete agreements, construction cases and several international cases.
Judge Heckman is a frequent speaker and panelist at Bar Association meetings and at CLE programs across the state. She also presents at AAA trainings and programs.
- Practice Areas
- Government Investigations & Enforcement Actions
- Public Law & Policy
- Indian Law
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Cornell Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1977
- Lawrence University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1974
Hon. John T. Curtin, former Chief Judge of the Western District of New York
- Litigation Counsel of America, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, Fellow
- Bar Association of Erie County
- New York State Bar Association
- Federal Magistrate Judges Association, Member
- Federal Courts Law Review (electronic law review associated with the Federal Magistrate Judges Association), First Editor in Chief
- Cornell Law Review, Editor
- National Congress of American Indians, Member
- Catholic Health Systems, Board of Directors
- Burchfield-Penney Art Center, Board of Directors and Past Board Chair
- Federal Judicial Center’s Education Committee for Magistrate Judges
- Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, Board of Directors
- Cradle Beach, former Board of Directors
- American Lung Association, Western New York Chapter, Board of Directors
- Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute, Inc., Board of Directors
Honors & Awards
- Buffalo Business First’s Legal Elite of Western New York, Lifetime Achievement Award (2016)
The Best Lawyers in America© (give years)
- 2015 Mediation “Lawyer of the Year” in Buffalo
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers® (2011-2019)
- Business First of Buffalo and Buffalo Law Journal, Legal Elite of WNY (2013)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Business First of Buffalo/Buffalo Law Journal, Who's Who in Law (2011- 2012)
- Business First of Buffalo, “Women Who Mean Business” Award, 2005
- Order of the Coif
- Fraser Prize (undergraduate award)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Women’s Bar Association of Western New York, Achievement Award, 1992
Related ContentView All
In The news
Carol E. Heckman and Carson R. Cooper mentioned in Law 360 article "NY Tribe Tries To Pause $255M Gaming Award To State"
December 4, 2019
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP's Carol E. Heckman Participating in Bar Association of Erie County Seminar on Indian Law
October 8, 2019
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friendman LLP's Carol E. Heckman Speaking at Employment Arbitration Conference in New York City
September 24, 2019
In The news
Carol E. Heckman featured in Buffalo Law Journal article "Technological precautions are a must in arbitration and mediation"
August 19, 2019
Fifteen Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP Attorneys Recognized in "The Best Lawyers in America©" 2020 Edition
August 15, 2019
In The news
Carol E. Heckman mentioned in Law 360 Article "Seneca Nation Seeks To Undo $255M Arbitration Award"
August 13, 2019
2019 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Recognizes 32 Attorneys from Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP
August 12, 2019