Brian advises clients on matters related to corporate compliance and government investigations as well as federal and New York state regulatory actions. He represents individuals, businesses and institutions in both civil and white collar criminal matters and has tried more than 80 civil and criminal jury trials to verdict.
In addition, he advises clients with NCAA matters, including compliance and student athlete eligibility issues.
Prior to entering private practice, Brian served as the Chief of the Felony Trial Bureau for the Erie County District Attorney, the largest upstate prosecutor’s office north of Westchester County. In that position, he supervised all felony trial lawyers, and oversaw the investigations and trials. In addition, he personally handled serious felony matters from investigation through trial. Brian successfully tried the first criminal case in Erie County where the only source of identification consisted of DNA evidence. In another trial, he obtained a conviction which at the time resulted in the longest sentence ever handed down in the history of Erie County for a non-homicide criminal conviction.
Brian has served as a faculty advisor at the National District Attorneys Advocacy Center in Columbia, South Carolina, the premier facility for training of federal and state civil and criminal lawyers in the country. As a faculty advisor, Brian specifically instructed attorneys throughout the nation on numerous aspects of trial practice.
- Represented a company that had retail locations across Upstate New York that was investigated and sued by the Attorney General for misleading advertising claims. We litigated this matter in New York County Supreme Court and successfully resolved the matter without any fine, penalty or admission of wrongdoing by the client. This high profile matter received extensive coverage in over 25 media outlets, including The New York Times, USA Today and Corporate Counsel as well as numerous regional publications.
- Represented a senior executive charged with embezzling hundreds of thousands of dollars from a well-known and highly respected government institution. This matter received widespread media attention. Resolved the matter without a jail sentence.
- Represented a student in a Title IX investigation and successfully overturned the school’s administrative finding of expulsion by filing an Article 78 Proceeding in State Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented a company that was under investigation by the Inspector General’s Office and District Attorney’s Office for their handling of MWBE requirements during a construction project. The investigation concluded with no criminal charges or civil suit being brought against our client.
- Government & Corporate Investigations
- Sports, Entertainment & Hospitality
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., 1987
- St. John Fisher College, B.A., 1983
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Served as an elected member of Board of Directors 2007- 2010
- Western New York Trial Lawyers Association, Treasurer
- American Health Lawyers Association
- St. John the Baptist School, Board of Trustees
- Town of Tonawanda Industrial and Commercial Incentive Board
- Town of Tonawanda Zoning Board of Appeals
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, since 2013
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, (2007- 2022)
- Buffalo Business First and Buffalo Law Journal, named among Buffalo’s Who’s Who in Law, 2012
Related ContentView All
In The news
Brian C. Mahoney Mentioned in Buffalo Business First Article "Spot Coffee, North Tonawanda Landlord Head to Court Over Store Shutdown"
November 23, 2022
In The news
Brian C. Mahoney Quoted in The Daily Gazette "Woman Claims False Arrest Over Saratoga Casino Overpayment; Files Suit Against Saratoga Springs, Officer, Casino"
November 11, 2022
Prepare to Respond for the Coming Wave of Claims from Adult Survivor’s Act
November 2, 2022
In The news
Government Investigation Team Featured in New York Law Journal "Buffalo-Based Lippes Mathias Stacks Government Investigations Practice With New Hires"
September 26, 2022
2022 Upstate New York Super Lawyers Recognizes 48 Attorneys from Lippes Mathias
August 23, 2022
"The Best Lawyers in America©" 2023 Edition Recognizes 48 Lippes Mathias Attorneys
August 18, 2022
Lippes Mathias Reinforces Government & State Attorneys General Investigations Practice with Four Additions
August 17, 2022