Lippes Mathias taps former Mars Incorporated Senior Leader to Co-Lead Intellectual Property Team
Immediately prior to joining Lippes Mathias, Mr. Thompson was General Counsel- Intellectual Property/Marketing Properties with Mars Incorporated (one of the largest privately held Companies in the World) where he built and led a team of over 50 in-house Intellectual Property & Marketing Properties professionals. He was a member of the Legal Leadership Team which has global responsibility for legal matters facing the company and was responsible for all Intellectual Property (trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, patents, technology, R&D and Innovation) matters.
His over three decades of experience including at Mars Incorporated, Philip Morris Companies, Colgate-Palmolive and GlaxoSmithKline included:
- Led the IP aspects of acquisitions/divestitures/join ventures of billions of dollars of consumer products companies, health care and veterinary services
- Initiated, defended and managed significant litigations around the world including initiating one that led to Mars Incorporated acquiring the trademark rights in the U.S. for a brand they desired to own its rights to for over 50 years
- Developed robust global anti-counterfeiting programs
- Enhanced global licensing and compliance programs for several of the world’s most valuable trademarks
- Built, organized, trained and managed large in-house high performing legal teams; responsible for cost effective management of multi-million dollar budgets, achieving significant cost savings and development and implementation of systems and process for maintaining and enhancing value of Intellectual Property.
In addition to Mr. Thompson’s wealth of in-house experience he was a partner with two large international law firms where he represented clients in global intellectual property matters.
Disclaimer: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from our firm or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
NEW PARTNERS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY