Ryan Stearns’ practice focuses on commercial real estate, including the representation of public REITs, private equity groups, and investors in connection with the acquisition, sale, development, leasing, ground leasing, and financing of a variety of asset classes.
Ryan serves as the Co-Leader for the Firm’s Cannabis Practice Team where he advises cannabis companies (cultivators, dispensaries, manufacturers, etc.) with all issues related to legal cannabis business activities, licensing matters (including drafting state license applications), regulatory matters, corporate structuring and real estate transactions.
Ryan was named to the National Law Journal’s 2022 Cannabis Law Trailblazers List and frequently speaks at cannabis conferences.
Articles & Publications
- Author, "Empire State Cannabis Update: Social & Economic Equity is Non-Negotiable for Adult-Use Applicants," CannaBuff, July 2023
- Author, "Empires State Cannabis Update: A Primer on Adult-Use Cannabis Advertising," CannaBuff, March 2023
- Author, "Empire State Cannabis Update: Roadmap for Navigating the Rules of the Adult-Use Market," CannaBuff, October 2022
- Author, "3 Conditional Market Lessons for Future Applicants," CannaBuff, July 2022
- Author, "Licensing Prep: 4(20) Steps Prospective Applicants Can Take Right Now," CannaBuff, March 29, 2022
- Author, "Unique Issues in Cannabis-Related Transactions," New York Law Journal, July 2019
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- New Jersey
- New York Law School, J.D., 2012
- University at Buffalo, B.A., 2009
- New York Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute
- Allentown Association, Board of Directors
- Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America©, 2024
- National Law Journal’s 2022 Cannabis Law Trailblazers List
- Upstate New York SuperLawyers®, 2022
Related ContentView All
69 Lippes Mathias Attorneys Recognized in the 2024 Edition of "The Best Lawyers in America©"
August 17, 2023
Empire State Cannabis Update: Social & Economic Equity is Non-Negotiable for Adult-Use Applicants
July 5, 2023
Updated Adult Use Cannabis Regulations
May 31, 2023
In The news
Lippes Mathias Cannabis Team Authors Cannabuff Article "Empires State Cannabis Update: A Primer on Adult-Use Cannabis Advertising"
March 28, 2023
In The news
Ryan V. Stearns Featured in Buffalo Business First Article "Public Comment Closes on Weed Regulations; Here's What to Look For"
February 17, 2023
Empire State Cannabis Update: NYS Fights to Modify Injunction Blocking Conditional Dispensary Licensing
January 9, 2023
Ryan V. Stearns to Speak During Cannabis Industry Panel at NYSCAR October Meeting
October 17, 2022
In The news
Thomas B. Hughes, Joseph W. Schafer, and Ryan V. Stearns Author CannaBuff Article "Empire State Cannabis Update: Roadmap for Navigating the Rules of the Adult-Use Market"
October 4, 2022