Mr. Riegel, a partner with Lippes Mathias’ Employment Team and Board Certified in labor and employment law from The Florida Bar, has more than 40 years of experience representing management clients across the full spectrum of employment law, with a particular focus on litigation and crisis management.
Bob handles all aspects of employment litigation, including jury trials, administrative trials and hearings, and arbitrations. He is known for litigating efficiently and effectively to achieve favorable results – early dismissal, settlement, summary judgment, or trial. He has successfully litigated employment discrimination, retaliation, sexual and racial harassment cases, wrongful discharge claims, Fair Labor Standards Act actions, and breach of contract claims.
As an advisor, Bob applies his litigation experience and instincts to counsel clients in crisis situations, such as harassment investigations and complicated terminations, and for preventative counseling on the many matters that can affect the employment relationship, including EEO issues, wage and hour issues, employee handbooks, employee benefits, personnel policies, reductions in force, affirmative action obligations, and strategies for employee discipline and termination.
Bob also handles litigation and counseling matters involving unions, including NLRA litigation and arbitrations; Family and Medical Leave Act; sexual and other forms of harassment; Fair Labor Standards Act compliance; Americans with Disabilities Act; and restrictive covenants, such as noncompete provisions.
- Oien v SunTrust Bank, Case No. 4:15-Cv111-MW/CAS, United States District Court, Northern District of Florida. Order dated 8/26/16 granting partial summary judgment on plaintiff's claim of ADA retaliation.
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local Union 222 v. SPE Utility Contractors, FD, LLC, Case No: 8:14-cv-193-T-26TGW, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida. Order granting Motion for Summary Judgment for Defendant SPE, dated 10/06/2015, in case alleging that the employer violated the applicable collective bargaining agreement by allegedly failing to pay certain amounts the Union claimed were due or overdue.
- Ebony Fletcher v. DCI Biologicals Orlando, LLC, Foreign Limited Liability Company, Case No: 1:12-CV-00203-RS-GRJ, United States District Court, Northern District Of Florida. Order granting Defendant’s Motion for Summary Judgment dated 10/21/2013 in FMLA case alleging interference and retaliation.
- Jairo Cortez v. Tom Thumb Food Stores, Inc. D/B/A Ez Kwik Market, Case No. 1:12-Cv20373-Mgc, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida. Order Granting Defendant’s Motion for Summary Judgment dated 7/19/2013 in FLSA case alleging store manager was misclassified as exempt.
Jeannette Ewoldt v. Denny L. Robinson, Htg Distributors, Inc., et. al., Case No.3:03-cv1073-J-20TEM (2006) Jury verdict for Defendants in Sexual Harassment Case.
- Audits and Litigation
- Corporate & Compliance Investigations
- Employment Agreements
- HR Training and Counseling
- Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Litigation
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration Compliance
- Restrictive Covenants
- Trade Secrets
- Wage and Hour
- Worker Classification
- Workplace Policies
- Employment Litigation
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- Florida State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1981
- Stetson University, B.A., 1978
- Fourth Judicial Circuit: Past Chairman, Professionalism Committee; Past Chair, Mentor Board
- Stetson Lawyers Association: Past President
- Stetson University College of Law Board of Overseers, 2009-present
- Episcopal Diocese of Florida, Vice Chancellor, Labor and Employment Matters
- Fresh Ministries, Inc., Board of Directors
- Christ Episcopal Church, Senior Warden, Ponte Vedra Beach, 2004-2006
- Jacksonville Urban League Foundation, Board of Directors
- Jacksonville Urban League, Board of Directors, Past Chairman
- Life Care Pastoral Services, Inc., Past President, Board of Directors
- Life Care Ponte Vedra, Inc., Past President, Board of Directors
- Multiple Sclerosis Society, Past President, North Florida Chapter
- Rotary Club of Ponte Vedra Beach, Past President
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Rating®, Martindale-Hubbell
The Best Lawyers in America®, 2005-2022
- Labor Law - Management, Employment Law -Management
- Litigation – Labor and Employment
- “Lawyer of the Year” Jacksonville (Litigation – Labor and Employment), 2013, 2018
- “Lawyer of the Year” Jacksonville (Employment Law - Management), 2016, 2019, 2021
- Florida Super Lawyers® (Labor & Employment; Employment Litigation: Defense), 2006- 2022
- Jacksonville Super Lawyers® “Top 25”, 2018
- Chambers USA, Labor & Employment, 2020 - 2022
Related ContentView All
Florida Passes SB1718, a State Bill That Will Require Many Florida Employers to Use E-Verify and Increase Penalties for Employment of Aliens without Employment Authorization
June 2, 2023
Helix Supreme Court Decision Finds That Daily Pay Rate Employee Making Six Figure Income Can Collect Overtime Under FLSA
March 13, 2023
New NLRB Decision Finds That Employer Severance Agreements Conditioned on Broad Non-Disparagement and Confidentiality Provisions Violate Employee’s Rights Under The NLRA
March 13, 2023
Robert G. Riegel, Jr. and Michael J. Lufkin Present at the Florida Electric Cooperatives Association’s Annual Seminar
November 17, 2022
In The news
Michael J. Lufkin and Robert Riegel, Jr Featured in Ponte Vedra Record "Benchmarks of Success: A Look at Major Career Changes in the Area"
September 29, 2022
Florida Minimum Wage Increase Effective September 30, 2022
September 27, 2022
In The news
Michael J. Lufkin and Robert Riegel, Jr Featured in Law360 Article "Lippes Mathias Adds Employment Attorneys to Florida Groups"
September 22, 2022
In The news
Michael J. Lufkin and Robert G. Riegel, Jr., Featured in Jacksonville Daily Record "Lufkin, Riegel Join Lippes Mathias Law Firm"
September 19, 2022