Mr. Kuzma’s legal career, spanning 18 years, is dedicated to the intricacies of education-related legal matters. His most recent and distinguished role was serving as General Counsel for the Buffalo City School District for the past seven years. Preceding this pivotal appointment, he held the position of the District's Executive Director of Labor Relations and Counsel on Special Education, contributing over three years to this role.
Mr. Kuzma dedicated his early career to the zealous advocacy of families in their pursuit of specialized education programming and services.
His multifaceted experience in the education sector encompasses a broad spectrum of responsibilities, including:
- Providing legal guidance to school boards, superintendents, and district administrators;
- Demonstrating a proficiency in negotiating agreements;
- Diligently overseeing and meticulously evaluating complex business contracts;
- Vigorously championing the interests of school districts, their officers, and employees in both federal and state court litigation. He additionally represents their interests before state and federal administrative agencies, which include the Commissioner of Education, the State Division of Human Rights, the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB), and the United States Department of Education Office of Civil Rights (OCR).
- Skillfully facilitating labor arbitrations and mediations;
- Offering legal counsel on complex matters and the interpretation of policies;
- Displaying expertise in the areas of special education, student residency, and district tuition obligations;
- Conducting comprehensive and methodical workplace investigations, ensuring compliance with legal and ethical standards; and
- Navigating the intricacies surrounding the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
Mr. Kuzma’s legal skills also extend to the realm of employment law. His extensive portfolio encompasses comprehensive advisory services to employers on various aspects of employment relationships, policies, and practices. For his clients, he conducts workplace investigations and defends clients facing potential legal claims, including allegations of discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, state and federal wage and hour laws, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2006
- Syracuse University School of Education, M.S., Cultural Foundations of Education, 2006
- University of Michigan, B.A., 2003
- Bar Association of Erie County
Related ContentView All
In The news
Kevin J. Cross Quoted in Buffalo Business First Article, "Lippes Mathias' high-profile hires; Rochester firm's Buffalo debut"
February 16, 2024
Lippes Mathias Welcomes 39 New Attorneys in 2023 Following Record-Breaking Year
December 14, 2023
Nathaniel J. Kuzma, Longtime Buffalo City School District General Counsel, Joins Lippes Mathias LLP
November 27, 2023