James E. Scarbrough, is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Team and serves as the Partner-in-Charge of the firm’s Cleveland office. He has extensive experience in patent matters, including patent prosecution, legal opinions, patentability, due diligence and litigation support. Mr. Scarbrough's background is in Mechanical Engineering and he focuses on the mechanical arts. He advises clients on legal issues pertaining to manufacturing processes, metal handling processes, paint application processes, consumer goods, medical devices, etc., and works with a variety of clients including Fortune 500 companies, regional manufacturers and the U.S. Government, as well as foreign associate law firms.
Prior to joining Lippes Mathias, Jim was a managing partner at Fay Sharpe LLP, an intellectual property boutique firm in Cleveland Ohio. Jim also served as the hiring partner for many years at Fay Sharpe, and was a member of the compensation committee. Prior to his legal career, he was a mechanical engineer at Westinghouse Electric Corporation in Pittsburgh, Pa. for seven years.
- Intellectual Property
- Domain Names, Social Media, Internet Search Advertising
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- United States Patent and Trademark Office Proceedings
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- The Pennsylvania State University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1986
- Carnegie Mellon University, M.B.A., 1991
- Case Western Reserve University, J.D., 1997
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association