James A. Shannon is a partner at Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman with more than two decades of experience in health care law representing a wide selection of health care providers, from large institutions to individual practitioners.
Mr. Shannon regularly counsels a variety of health care providers, including general hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, adult homes, managed long term care plans, home care agencies, adult day care providers, substance abuse treatment providers, physicians and trade associations. He provides regulatory guidance on federal, state and local laws and standards applicable to such health care entities and professionals. This includes the Medicare Conditions of Participation, Medical Assistance Program (Medicaid), New York State statutes (e.g., Public Health Law, Mental Hygiene Law, Social Services Law, and Not-For-Profit Corporation Law), New York City Charter and Administrative Code, Code of Federal Regulations, New York Codes, Rules and Regulations, Rules of the City of New York, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Manuals and Transmittals, administrative directives issued by the New York State Department of Health and accreditation standards.
Additionally, Mr. Shannon counsels health care providers on the application of federal and state fraud and abuse laws (e.g., Anti-Kickback and Stark), establishment, surveys, professional misconduct standards and data privacy laws. He also advises health care providers on interactions with patients and residents, including patient/resident admissions and discharges, incident reports and surrogate decision making.
Mr. Shannon also assists health care providers with a range of transactional issues, including contractual arrangements with other health care entities, physician employment contracts, professional services agreements and vendor contracts. He also has experience litigating health care cases at the trial level, in intermediate appellate courts, and at the highest levels of the state and federal appellate court systems. This includes challenging New York health care statutes and regulations in state and federal courts. He also has experience resolving disputes between health care providers and handling enforcement actions brought against providers in administrative and court proceedings.
Mr. Shannon honorably served for four years in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Articles & Publications
- Author, “Billing and Reimbursement Issues for the Physician Office,” New York State Bar Association Legal Manual for New York Physicians, Fourth Edition, 2014
- Contributing Author, “Significant Developments in Health Care Law,” Albany Health Care Law Newsletter, November 2012
- Co-Author, “Billing and Reimbursement Issues for the Physician Office,” New York State Bar Association Health Law Journal, Winter 2012
- Contributing Author, “Health Care News,” Health Care Law Newsletter, July 2011
- Contributing Author, “Health Care News,” Health Care Law Newsletter, April 2011
- Co-Author, “Billing and Reimbursement Issues for the Physician Office,” New York State Bar Association Legal Manual for New York Physicians, Third Edition, 2011
- Practice Teams
- Health Care
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Albany Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1997
- Rochester Institute of Technology, B.S., Highest Honors, 1994
- Monroe Community College, A.S., With Distinction, 1992
- American Health Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Health Law Section