Legal Assistant, Labor Practice - Albany, NY
The Albany office of Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman LLP is seeking a legal assistant to join our team. The Albany office is primarily comprised of attorneys who handle labor and employment matters, particularly representing large public sector labor unions. We regularly appear before governmental/administrative boards, agencies and commissions, as well as arbitration, negotiation, and mediation. Our office also handles Governmental Relations and litigation for our clients.
The successful candidate will support the team in filing demands for arbitration, preparing administrative and litigation documents, and handling a wide variety of tasks relative to our day to day contact with clients.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining Time Entry for billable hours
- Formatting/Drafting briefs, pleadings and other legal documents
- Monitoring and updating attorney calendar(s)
- Transcribe dictations
- Prepare Memorandums for opening new matters
- Create/maintain electronic directories
- Create/maintain filing
- Prepare and send out transmittal letters
- Saving, printing, scanning and filing of all transmittal documents on each file
Our ideal Legal Assistant will have:
- Law firm environment experience a plus
- Accurate typing speed of 65+ wpm required
- General office and computer experience required
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure
- Reliable attendance a must
- Experience with editing, revising and drafting of legal documents
- Knowledge of local, state and federal court rules
- High proficiency in Microsoft word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to complete projects with little direction
- Ability to use discretion and handle confidential information
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce high quality work products
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
Job Type: Full-time
Lippes Mathias Wexler Friedman is a growing law firm with nearly 110 attorneys located in 7 offices (Buffalo, Albany, Florida, Washington D.C., Chicago, New York City and Burlington, Ontario). We rely upon and promote teamwork among staff, paralegals and attorneys to meet the expectations of our clients. We look to hire people who are excellent at what they do and have a positive attitude of serving the client’s needs. We are a firm that values a diversity of ideas and experiences in an atmosphere that is collegial, informal and open.